Sunday, July 25, 2010

Disabling LACP with iSCSI in ESXi4 to Enable MPIO

My mini Atlantis cluster is working well, but I found a document suggesting it can be better -- or another way that it can be better, at least.

It's using iSCSI for the storage, right now, and I have it configured with LACP for redundancy off one bonded channel.  I'd hoped to also get some load-balancing from it, but I was young and naive (last week) when I set it up.  I've since learned of a better way to set it up.  It's all in A Multivendor Post on using iSCSI with VMware vSphere at Virtual Geek .

Here's the money-shot, as I told DD in email:
  1. don't have your iSCSI set up with LACP
  2. set up one vmkX for each NIC you're going to dedicate for iSCSI
  3. have them not team
  4. subscribe to each effective target on each interface on the remote side separately
  5. drop your IOps per path factor to a lower number to reduce stickiness on a particular path and improve the MP part of the IO on lower-speed iSCSI configs.
Not sure about the last part, but it's what passes for the sense it's making right now.  I'm off to read it more fully and plan a migration from one method to another in Atlantis.

I'm actually excited that I can improve performance on this little cluster without requiring more capital.  Let you know how it goes.

Labels: , ,